According to South Australia Police (SAPOL), Port Pirie crime rate for the year ending December 2022 was 7142 incidents per 100,000 population. This represents a 10% increase from the previous year.
Port Pirie Crime Index
(100 is safest)
Safer than 38% of most Australia cities
Port Pirie Crime Map
Is Port Pirie Safe?
Port Pirie has low safety metrics. Crime rates in Port Pirie are quite a bit higher than the average of Australian urban areas. Port Pirie is safer than 38% of all Australian communities and than 16% of South Australia cities and towns. However, Serious Assault not resulting in injury is a common offence in Port Pirie.
Port Pirie Crime Statistics at a Glance
Has Crime in Port Pirie increased or decreased in the past 5 years? The chart below shows the 60-month historical trend of the number of offences that occurred in Port Pirie.
- The number of criminal incidents recorded by South Australia Police in the year 2022 was 980, up 10% from 893 incidents recorded in the same period last year.
- Port Pirie is in the 16th percentile for safety, meaning 84% of South Australia urban areas are safer than Port Pirie and 16% of urban areas are more dangerous than Port Pirie.
- Common crime: Serious Assault not resulting in injury.
- Safest suburb in Port Pirie city: Risdon Park South suburb.
- Top areas to avoid in Port Pirie city (bad areas): Port Pirie suburb.
- The number of assault offences recorded in 2022 increased by 11% (27 Incidents) compared to the previous year..
- There were no homicide offences recorded during the years 2021 and 2022.
- The number of burglary offences recorded in 2022 decreased by 1% (2 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of theft offences recorded in 2022 increased by 11% (28 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of robbery offences recorded in 2022 increased by 200% (2 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of motor vehicle thefts recorded in 2022 decreased by 13% (1 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of vandalism offences (Property damage) recorded in 2022 increased by 14% (29 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
Thinking of moving to Port Pirie?
Experience the ease of moving with Muval, the ‘Uber for removals,’ backed by over 35,000 successful moves. Tap into Australia’s largest network of verified removalists nationwide. Compare prices & reviews, book, and move smoothly with Muval now!
Crime in Port Pirie: An In-Depth Analysis
AU Crime Rate analyzed crime data from the South Australia Police (SAPOL) and found that crime rates in Port Pirie city are quite a bit higher than the average of Australian urban areas. In fact, it is considered safer than about 38% of communities in the country across all population sizes.
The crime rates in Port Pirie are higher than approximately 84% of other cities and towns in South Australia. Consequently, the community has low scores for public safety.
Your chance of becoming a victim of a crime if you live here? It’s 1 in 13 based on the combined crime rate of offences against the person and property while the risk of becoming a victim of crime in South Australia is at 1 in 16.
Discovering the full picture of Port Pirie’s crime statistics is crucial, and delving into the details of its against the person and property crime data is the key. By doing so, we can uncover which type of crime is more prevalent, whether it be violent or property-related, and gain a deeper understanding of the crime rate in Port Pirie. So join us on this exploration, as we uncover the nature and extent of crime in this community.
Port Pirie crime rate for crimes against the person is 2041 per 100,000 inhabitants, whereas the South Australia average rate is 1218. This meant that the likelihood of becoming a victim of such crimes in Port Pirie was 1 in 48. The crimes against persons included in this analysis are homicide, acts intended to cause injury, robbery, and other offences against the person.
According to our data, the likelihood of an individual becoming a victim of property crime in Port Pirie is 1 in 19, with a rate of 5101 incidents per 100,000 inhabitants. It is important to note that the average rate of property crime in South Australia is 4816 incidents per 100,000 residents. The property crimes included in this analysis consist of theft, fraud, property damage, and serious criminal trespass.
Port Pirie Crime Rates by Offences Division
|Division||Number of Crimes||Crime Rate (Per 100,000 Residents)|
|Offences against the person||280||2041|
|Property and deception offences||700||5101|
Note: The only crime data that SAPOL presents is Property and person crimes. So you shouldn’t compare the crime rates of suburbs or urban areas with any other areas in another state in Australia.
Port Pirie Crimes Against the Person (Violent crimes)
These are violent crimes against people whether these are family violence or non-family violence. Basically, if someone does something to hurt or scare another person, it’s considered a crime against the person. This includes:
- “Acts Intended to Cause Injury” is a legal category that includes different types of crimes where someone intentionally tries to harm another person. There are subcategories within this, including:
- Assault Police: When someone intentionally attacks a police officer while they’re doing their job.
- Common Assault: This involves deliberately using force or threats to make someone fear they’ll be hurt. It doesn’t necessarily result in serious injuries.
- Serious Assault Resulting in Injury: This is when someone intentionally harms another person, causing them significant injuries.
- Serious Assault Not Resulting in Injury: Even if serious harm doesn’t happen, if someone tries to cause it intentionally, it can still be a crime.
- Homicide and Related offences: These are categories of crimes related to taking someone’s life:
- Murder: This is the most serious type of crime where someone intentionally kills another person.
- Other Homicide and Related offences: This category includes various other crimes connected to causing death. These might involve different levels of intent or circumstances, like manslaughter or offences related to causing death through negligence or recklessness.
- Robbery and related offences: These are the categories of crimes related to robbery:
- Non-Aggravated Robbery: This is a type of theft where someone takes property from another person using force or threats, but it doesn’t involve additional serious factors.
- Blackmail and Extortion: These offences involve forcing someone to give you money or property by using threats or information against them. Blackmail is when you threaten to reveal embarrassing or damaging information, while extortion includes broader threats of harm or force.
- Aggravated Robbery: This is a more severe form of robbery. It happens when someone uses weapons or inflicts serious harm or injury during the robbery. These factors make the crime even more serious and result in harsher penalties.
My Chances of Becoming a Victim of a Crime Against the Person
1 in 48
In Port Pirie
1 in 81
In South Australia
Crimes Against the Person Comparison (Per 100,000 Residents)
Crimes Against the Person: Port Pirie vs South Australia
Port Pirie population: 13722
South Australia population: 1777698
|Crimes||Total Criminal Incidents||SA Total Criminal Incidents||Crime Rate (Per 100,000 Residents)||SA Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Acts intended to cause injury (Assault)||262||19651||1909||1105|
|Abduction, harassment and other offences||3||419||22||24|
|Blackmail and extortion||0||93||0||5|
|Other offences against the person||14||1334||102||75|
Here is a breakdown of the major Crimes against the person
|Crimes||No, of offences||Rate|
|Serious Assault resulting in injury||43||313|
|Serious Assault not resulting in injury||152||1108|
Note: The data on sexual assault and related crimes is only available for the entire state of South Australia and not broken down by specific suburbs or urban areas. We have provided state-level statistics for your reference.
|Crimes||SA offences count||SA rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Aggravated sexual assault||1294||73|
|Non-aggravated sexual assault||435||24|
|Non-assaultive sexual offences||394||22|
|Total Sexual assault and related offences||2123||119|
Port Pirie Offences Against Property
These are crimes related to stealing or damaging property or deceiving someone for personal gain. Property crimes include:
- Property damage and environmental offences: These are categories of crimes related to damaging property and environmental violations:
- Other Property Damage and Environmental: This is a broad category covering various offences related to damaging property or breaking environmental rules. It includes different types of related crimes not mentioned elsewhere.
- Graffiti: Graffiti involves illegally drawing or writing on buildings or walls without permission, which damages property and is against the law.
- Property Damage by Fire or Explosion (Arson): Arson is when someone intentionally sets fire to property, causing damage or destruction. This category focuses on property damage caused specifically by fire or explosions, often with criminal intent.
- Serious criminal trespass: These categories are related to serious criminal trespass, commonly referred to as burglary, and other unlawful entries with different intents:
- Other Unlawful Entry with Intent: This covers various unauthorized entries into different places where the purpose may not fit into the categories below.
- Unlawful Entry – Non-Residence: This is when someone breaks into a non-residential place, like a store or office, with the intention to commit a crime, like theft or vandalism. It’s not about homes.
- Unlawful Entry – Residence: This is about unlawfully entering someone’s home with criminal intent, like to steal or harm. It’s specifically about intrusions into houses.
- Theft: It can be committed in various forms such as shoplifting, stealing from a person’s home, or taking a vehicle without permission. Other examples include stealing a bicycle, snatching a purse, or taking items from an unattended bag.
- Fraud, Deception, and Related offences: These are categories of crimes related to fraud and deception in South Australia:
- Other Fraud, Deception, and Related offences: This covers various types of fraudulent and deceptive activities that don’t fit into specific subcategories. It’s a broad category.
- Obtain Benefit by Deception: This offence involves deceiving someone to gain an advantage or benefit that you aren’t entitled to. It means obtaining something unfairly through trickery or dishonesty.
My Chances of Becoming a Victim of Offences Against Property
1 in 19
In Port Pirie
1 in 20
In South Australia
Offences Against Property Comparison (Per 100,000 Residents)
Against Property offences: Port Pirie vs South Australia
Port Pirie population: 13722
South Australia population: 1777698
|Crimes||Total Criminal Incidents||SA Total Criminal Incidents||Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)||SA Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Theft and related offences||274||85784||1997||1640|
|Serious criminal trespass (burglary)||173||12477||1261||702|
|Fraud, deception and related offences||23||4391||168||247|
|Property damage and environmental||230||20997||1676||1181|
Here is a breakdown of Port Pirie crime rate and offences count for the major property and deception offences.
|Crimes||No, of offences||Rate|
|Theft/Illegal use of motor vehicle||7||51|
|Theft from motor vehicle||19||138|
|Theft from shop||53||386|
|Property damage by fire or explosion (Arson)||5||36|
|Unlawful entry - Residence||88||641|
|Unlawful entry - Non Residence||42||306|
Port Pirie Crimes per Square KM
How many murders in Port Pirie city in 2022?
According to South Australia Police (SAPOL), there were 0 murders in Port Pirie in 2022. The number of homicides (which includes murders and other related offences) was 0.
What’s the most common crime in Port Pirie city?
According to the latest available data from South Australia Police (SAPOL), the most common type of crime in Port Pirie is Serious Assault not resulting in injury.
What is the crime rate in Port Pirie city?
The overall crime rate in Port Pirie city, as measured by the number of reported offences per 100,000 population was 7142 in the year ending December 2022.
However, it’s important to note that this is an aggregate figure that includes all types of crime, and some types of offences are more prevalent than others. Additionally, crime rates can vary by location, with some areas experiencing higher rates of certain types of crime than others.
Is Port Pirie city a safe place to live in?
Port Pirie city is safer than 38% of cities and towns across Australia and the crime rates are quite a bit higher than the average of Australian urban areas. Compared to South Australia cities and towns, Port Pirie city is safer than 16% of other communities in the state which are considered low safety scores in South Australia.
What suburb has the highest crime rate in Port Pirie city?
Port Pirie is the suburb with the highest rate of reported criminal incidents in Port Pirie city with a rate of 97619 incidents per 100,000 population, according to BOCSAR 2022 data. Port Pirie is safer than only 1% of Port Pirie city suburbs.
What is the safest suburb in Port Pirie city?
Risdon Park South is the safest suburb in Port Pirie city with a rate of 3128 incidents per 100,000 population as per the BOCSAR report. Risdon Park South is safer than 45% of Port Pirie city suburbs.
However, it’s important to note that low crime rates do not necessarily guarantee safety, and that crime can occur anywhere. Hence, it’s essential always to stay vigilant and take appropriate safety measures.
Port Pirie Crime Rate by Suburb
|Port Pirie suburbs||Total crimes in 2021||Total crime rate in 2021||Total crimes in 2022||Total crime rate in 2022|
|Angle Vale||310||7662||292||7217||Angle Vale|
|Gawler East||122||2141||144||2528||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston Park||142||3348||123||2900||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler South||190||7252||139||5305||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston Gardens||87||3691||114||4837||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler Belt||12||1210||22||2218||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler West||61||6199||74||7520||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston South||35||4575||32||4183||Gawler (SA)|
|Kingston Se||19||1404||17||1256||Kingston SE|
|Pinks Beach||1||1205||0||0||Kingston SE|
|Mount Barker||557||3046||524||2866||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Littlehampton||54||1630||42||1268||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Blakiston||4||1050||2||525||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Totness||23||24468||26||27660||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Mount Gambier||1494||5828||1515||5910||Mount Gambier|
|Murray Bridge||1322||8797||1291||8591||Murray Bridge|
|Murray Bridge East||39||3239||36||2990||Murray Bridge|
|Northern Heights||7||2303||16||5263||Murray Bridge|
|Port Augusta||1447||22518||1867||29054||Port Augusta|
|Port Augusta West||566||13907||843||20713||Port Augusta|
|Stirling North||67||2405||98||3518||Port Augusta|
|Port Lincoln||1225||8472||1266||8755||Port Lincoln|
|Port Pirie South||213||5507||186||4809||Port Pirie|
|Risdon Park||194||5021||249||6444||Port Pirie|
|Port Pirie West||172||6680||182||7068||Port Pirie|
|Risdon Park South||69||3083||70||3128||Port Pirie|
|Port Pirie||151||89881||164||97619||Port Pirie|
|Encounter Bay||50||943||47||886||Victor Harbor|
|Victor Harbor||198||4404||215||4782||Victor Harbor|
|Port Elliot||40||1789||52||2326||Victor Harbor|
Note: This article doesn’t have detailed data for family violence, victims, female offenders, reoffending, sexual offences, stalking, and youth crime. For more information about these topics, check our resources page.
- South Australia Police (SAPOL)
- South Australia Government Data Directory
Popular Suburbs in Port Pirie