According to South Australia Police (SAPOL), Port Augusta crime rate for the year ending December 2022 was 22749 incidents per 100,000 population. This represents a 36% increase from the previous year.
Port Augusta Crime Index
(100 is safest)
Safer than 7% of most Australia cities
Port Augusta Crime Map
Is Port Augusta Safe?
Port Augusta has low safety metrics. Crime rates in Port Augusta are considerably higher than the average across all communities in Australia. Port Augusta is safer than 7% of all Australian communities and than 3% of South Australia cities and towns. However, Serious Assault not resulting in injury is a common offence in Port Augusta.
Port Augusta Crime Statistics at a Glance
Has Crime in Port Augusta increased or decreased in the past 5 years? The chart below shows the 60-month historical trend of the number of offences that occurred in Port Augusta.
- The number of criminal incidents recorded by South Australia Police in the year 2022 was 2910, up 36% from 2135 incidents recorded in the same period last year.
- Port Augusta is in the 3rd percentile for safety, meaning 97% of South Australia urban areas are safer than Port Augusta and 3% of urban areas are more dangerous than Port Augusta.
- Common crime: Serious Assault not resulting in injury.
- Safest suburb in Port Augusta city: Stirling North suburb.
- Top areas to avoid in Port Augusta city (bad areas): Davenport (SA) suburb.
- The number of assault offences recorded in 2022 increased by 25% (138 Incidents) compared to the previous year..
- The number of homicide offences recorded in 2022 increased by 100% (1 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of burglary offences recorded in 2022 increased by 67% (189 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of theft offences recorded in 2022 increased by 21% (128 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of robbery offences recorded in 2022 decreased by 75% (3 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of motor vehicle thefts recorded in 2022 increased by 64% (18 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of vandalism offences (Property damage) recorded in 2022 increased by 43% (253 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
Thinking of moving to Port Augusta?
Experience the ease of moving with Muval, the ‘Uber for removals,’ backed by over 35,000 successful moves. Tap into Australia’s largest network of verified removalists nationwide. Compare prices & reviews, book, and move smoothly with Muval now!
Crime in Port Augusta: An In-Depth Analysis
According to AU Crime Rate’s analysis of the latest crime statistics from the South Australia Police (SAPOL), Port Augusta city is ranked safer than 7% of the cities and towns across Australia, regardless of population size. That means that Port Augusta crime rate is considerably higher than the average across all communities in Australia.
In South Australia, only about 97% of communities have a lower crime rate than Port Augusta. As a result, Port Augusta has low scores in public safety metrics.
If you are a resident of Port Augusta city, your chance of becoming a victim of crime is 1 in 4 (based on the total crime rate of crimes against the person and property combined) while the South Australia average is 1 in 16.
Let’s take a closer look at Port Augusta’s crime statistics and see how it fares in terms of crimes against person and property crimes. This information is crucial because it can shed light on whether violent or property crimes or both, are the primary factors driving Port Augusta’s overall crime rate. So, are you curious to learn more about Port Augusta’s crime data and what they reveal about the community’s safety and security? Let’s dive in!
AU Crime Rate’s analysis reveals that against the person crime rate in Port Augusta is 5715 per one hundred thousand inhabitants while the South Australia average rate is 1218. So, one’s chances of becoming a victim of crimes against the person in Port Augusta is 1 in 16. The crimes against the person included in this analysis are homicide, acts intended to cause injury, robbery, and other offences against the person.
From our analysis, we discovered that your odds of becoming a victim of a property crime if you live in Port Augusta is 1 in 5. This is equal to a rate of 16245 per one hundred thousand residents compared to a rate of 4816 per 100000 residents for South Australia state. It’s worth mentioning that the property crimes tracked here include theft, fraud, property damage, and serious criminal trespass.
Port Augusta Crime Rates by Offences Division
|Division||Number of Crimes||Crime Rate (Per 100,000 Residents)|
|Offences against the person||731||5715|
|Property and deception offences||2078||16245|
Note: The only crime data that SAPOL presents is Property and person crimes. So you shouldn’t compare the crime rates of suburbs or urban areas with any other areas in another state in Australia.
Port Augusta Crimes Against the Person (Violent crimes)
These are violent crimes against people whether these are family violence or non-family violence. Basically, if someone does something to hurt or scare another person, it’s considered a crime against the person. This includes:
- “Acts Intended to Cause Injury” is a legal category that includes different types of crimes where someone intentionally tries to harm another person. There are subcategories within this, including:
- Assault Police: When someone intentionally attacks a police officer while they’re doing their job.
- Common Assault: This involves deliberately using force or threats to make someone fear they’ll be hurt. It doesn’t necessarily result in serious injuries.
- Serious Assault Resulting in Injury: This is when someone intentionally harms another person, causing them significant injuries.
- Serious Assault Not Resulting in Injury: Even if serious harm doesn’t happen, if someone tries to cause it intentionally, it can still be a crime.
- Homicide and Related offences: These are categories of crimes related to taking someone’s life:
- Murder: This is the most serious type of crime where someone intentionally kills another person.
- Other Homicide and Related offences: This category includes various other crimes connected to causing death. These might involve different levels of intent or circumstances, like manslaughter or offences related to causing death through negligence or recklessness.
- Robbery and related offences: These are the categories of crimes related to robbery:
- Non-Aggravated Robbery: This is a type of theft where someone takes property from another person using force or threats, but it doesn’t involve additional serious factors.
- Blackmail and Extortion: These offences involve forcing someone to give you money or property by using threats or information against them. Blackmail is when you threaten to reveal embarrassing or damaging information, while extortion includes broader threats of harm or force.
- Aggravated Robbery: This is a more severe form of robbery. It happens when someone uses weapons or inflicts serious harm or injury during the robbery. These factors make the crime even more serious and result in harsher penalties.
My Chances of Becoming a Victim of a Crime Against the Person
1 in 16
In Port Augusta
1 in 81
In South Australia
Crimes Against the Person Comparison (Per 100,000 Residents)
Crimes Against the Person: Port Augusta vs South Australia
Port Augusta population: 12792
South Australia population: 1777698
|Crimes||Total Criminal Incidents||SA Total Criminal Incidents||Crime Rate (Per 100,000 Residents)||SA Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Acts intended to cause injury (Assault)||689||19651||5386||1105|
|Abduction, harassment and other offences||3||419||23||24|
|Blackmail and extortion||1||93||8||5|
|Other offences against the person||35||1334||274||75|
Here is a breakdown of the major Crimes against the person
|Crimes||No, of offences||Rate|
|Serious Assault resulting in injury||167||1306|
|Serious Assault not resulting in injury||383||2994|
Note: The data on sexual assault and related crimes is only available for the entire state of South Australia and not broken down by specific suburbs or urban areas. We have provided state-level statistics for your reference.
|Crimes||SA offences count||SA rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Aggravated sexual assault||1294||73|
|Non-aggravated sexual assault||435||24|
|Non-assaultive sexual offences||394||22|
|Total Sexual assault and related offences||2123||119|
Port Augusta Offences Against Property
These are crimes related to stealing or damaging property or deceiving someone for personal gain. Property crimes include:
- Property damage and environmental offences: These are categories of crimes related to damaging property and environmental violations:
- Other Property Damage and Environmental: This is a broad category covering various offences related to damaging property or breaking environmental rules. It includes different types of related crimes not mentioned elsewhere.
- Graffiti: Graffiti involves illegally drawing or writing on buildings or walls without permission, which damages property and is against the law.
- Property Damage by Fire or Explosion (Arson): Arson is when someone intentionally sets fire to property, causing damage or destruction. This category focuses on property damage caused specifically by fire or explosions, often with criminal intent.
- Serious criminal trespass: These categories are related to serious criminal trespass, commonly referred to as burglary, and other unlawful entries with different intents:
- Other Unlawful Entry with Intent: This covers various unauthorized entries into different places where the purpose may not fit into the categories below.
- Unlawful Entry – Non-Residence: This is when someone breaks into a non-residential place, like a store or office, with the intention to commit a crime, like theft or vandalism. It’s not about homes.
- Unlawful Entry – Residence: This is about unlawfully entering someone’s home with criminal intent, like to steal or harm. It’s specifically about intrusions into houses.
- Theft: It can be committed in various forms such as shoplifting, stealing from a person’s home, or taking a vehicle without permission. Other examples include stealing a bicycle, snatching a purse, or taking items from an unattended bag.
- Fraud, Deception, and Related offences: These are categories of crimes related to fraud and deception in South Australia:
- Other Fraud, Deception, and Related offences: This covers various types of fraudulent and deceptive activities that don’t fit into specific subcategories. It’s a broad category.
- Obtain Benefit by Deception: This offence involves deceiving someone to gain an advantage or benefit that you aren’t entitled to. It means obtaining something unfairly through trickery or dishonesty.
My Chances of Becoming a Victim of Offences Against Property
1 in 5
In Port Augusta
1 in 20
In South Australia
Offences Against Property Comparison (Per 100,000 Residents)
Against Property offences: Port Augusta vs South Australia
Port Augusta population: 12792
South Australia population: 1777698
|Crimes||Total Criminal Incidents||SA Total Criminal Incidents||Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)||SA Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Theft and related offences||729||85784||5699||1640|
|Serious criminal trespass (burglary)||471||12477||3682||702|
|Fraud, deception and related offences||36||4391||281||247|
|Property damage and environmental||842||20997||6582||1181|
Here is a breakdown of Port Augusta crime rate and offences count for the major property and deception offences.
|Crimes||No, of offences||Rate|
|Theft/Illegal use of motor vehicle||46||360|
|Theft from motor vehicle||157||1227|
|Theft from shop||206||1610|
|Property damage by fire or explosion (Arson)||33||258|
|Unlawful entry - Residence||190||1485|
|Unlawful entry - Non Residence||113||883|
Port Augusta Crimes per Square KM
How many murders in Port Augusta city in 2022?
According to South Australia Police (SAPOL), there were 0 murders in Port Augusta in 2022. The number of homicides (which includes murders and other related offences) was 1.
What’s the most common crime in Port Augusta city?
According to the latest available data from South Australia Police (SAPOL), the most common type of crime in Port Augusta is Serious Assault not resulting in injury.
What is the crime rate in Port Augusta city?
The overall crime rate in Port Augusta city, as measured by the number of reported offences per 100,000 population was 22749 in the year ending December 2022.
However, it’s important to note that this is an aggregate figure that includes all types of crime, and some types of offences are more prevalent than others. Additionally, crime rates can vary by location, with some areas experiencing higher rates of certain types of crime than others.
Is Port Augusta city a safe place to live in?
Port Augusta city is safer than 7% of cities and towns across Australia and the crime rates are considerably higher than the average across all communities in Australia. Compared to South Australia cities and towns, Port Augusta city is safer than 3% of other communities in the state which are considered low safety scores in South Australia.
What suburb has the highest crime rate in Port Augusta city?
Davenport (SA) is the suburb with the highest rate of reported criminal incidents in Port Augusta city with a rate of 66667 incidents per 100,000 population, according to BOCSAR 2022 data. Davenport (SA) is safer than only 1% of Port Augusta city suburbs.
What is the safest suburb in Port Augusta city?
Stirling North is the safest suburb in Port Augusta city with a rate of 3518 incidents per 100,000 population as per the BOCSAR report. Stirling North is safer than 41% of Port Augusta city suburbs.
However, it’s important to note that low crime rates do not necessarily guarantee safety, and that crime can occur anywhere. Hence, it’s essential always to stay vigilant and take appropriate safety measures.
Port Augusta Crime Rate by Suburb
|Port Augusta suburbs||Total crimes in 2021||Total crime rate in 2021||Total crimes in 2022||Total crime rate in 2022|
|Angle Vale||310||7662||292||7217||Angle Vale|
|Gawler East||122||2141||144||2528||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston Park||142||3348||123||2900||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler South||190||7252||139||5305||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston Gardens||87||3691||114||4837||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler Belt||12||1210||22||2218||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler West||61||6199||74||7520||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston South||35||4575||32||4183||Gawler (SA)|
|Kingston Se||19||1404||17||1256||Kingston SE|
|Pinks Beach||1||1205||0||0||Kingston SE|
|Mount Barker||557||3046||524||2866||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Littlehampton||54||1630||42||1268||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Blakiston||4||1050||2||525||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Totness||23||24468||26||27660||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Mount Gambier||1494||5828||1515||5910||Mount Gambier|
|Murray Bridge||1322||8797||1291||8591||Murray Bridge|
|Murray Bridge East||39||3239||36||2990||Murray Bridge|
|Northern Heights||7||2303||16||5263||Murray Bridge|
|Port Augusta||1447||22518||1867||29054||Port Augusta|
|Port Augusta West||566||13907||843||20713||Port Augusta|
|Stirling North||67||2405||98||3518||Port Augusta|
|Port Lincoln||1225||8472||1266||8755||Port Lincoln|
|Port Pirie South||213||5507||186||4809||Port Pirie|
|Risdon Park||194||5021||249||6444||Port Pirie|
|Port Pirie West||172||6680||182||7068||Port Pirie|
|Risdon Park South||69||3083||70||3128||Port Pirie|
|Port Pirie||151||89881||164||97619||Port Pirie|
|Encounter Bay||50||943||47||886||Victor Harbor|
|Victor Harbor||198||4404||215||4782||Victor Harbor|
|Port Elliot||40||1789||52||2326||Victor Harbor|
Note: This article doesn’t have detailed data for family violence, victims, female offenders, reoffending, sexual offences, stalking, and youth crime. For more information about these topics, check our resources page.
- South Australia Police (SAPOL)
- South Australia Government Data Directory
Popular Suburbs in Port Augusta
Popular Urban Areas Near Port Augusta