According to South Australia Police (SAPOL), Mount Barker (SA) crime rate for the year ending December 2022 was 2759 incidents per 100,000 population. This represents a 7% decrease from the previous year.
Mount Barker (SA) Crime Index
(100 is safest)
Safer than 84% of most Australia cities
Mount Barker (SA) Crime Map
Is Mount Barker (SA) Safe?
Mount Barker (SA) has high safety metrics. Crime rates in Mount Barker (SA) are noticeably lower than the average of Australian urban centers and localities. Mount Barker (SA) is safer than 84% of all Australian communities and than 57% of South Australia cities and towns. However, Theft from shop is a common offence in Mount Barker (SA).
Mount Barker (SA) Crime Statistics at a Glance
Has Crime in Mount Barker (SA) increased or decreased in the past 5 years? The chart below shows the 60-month historical trend of the number of offences that occurred in Mount Barker (SA).
- The number of criminal incidents recorded by South Australia Police in the year 2022 was 594, down 7% from 638 incidents recorded in the same period last year.
- Mount Barker (SA) is in the 57th percentile for safety, meaning 43% of South Australia urban areas are safer than Mount Barker (SA) and 57% of urban areas are more dangerous than Mount Barker (SA).
- Common crime: Theft from shop.
- Safest suburb in Mount Barker (SA) city: Blakiston suburb.
- Top areas to avoid in Mount Barker (SA) city (bad areas): Mount Barker (SA) suburb.
- The number of assault offences recorded in 2022 increased by 2% (2 Incidents) compared to the previous year..
- There were no homicide offences recorded during the years 2021 and 2022.
- The number of burglary offences recorded in 2022 decreased by 16% (9 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of theft offences recorded in 2022 increased by 1% (3 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- There was no change in the number of robbery offences recorded during the years 2021 and 2022.
- The number of motor vehicle thefts recorded in 2022 decreased by 33% (5 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
- The number of vandalism offences (Property damage) recorded in 2022 decreased by 33% (54 Incidents) compared to the previous year.
Thinking of moving to Mount Barker (SA)?
Experience the ease of moving with Muval, the ‘Uber for removals,’ backed by over 35,000 successful moves. Tap into Australia’s largest network of verified removalists nationwide. Compare prices & reviews, book, and move smoothly with Muval now!
Crime in Mount Barker (SA): An In-Depth Analysis
Based on the latest crime statistics from the South Australia Police (SAPOL), AU Crime Rate’s analysis indicates that Mount Barker (SA) is safer than only 84% of all communities across the nation, regardless of population size. This implies that Mount Barker (SA)’s crime rate is noticeably lower than the average of Australian urban centers and localities.
How does Mount Barker (SA) perform compared to other cities and towns of all population sizes in South Australia? The crime rate in Mount Barker (SA) city is greater than that of roughly 43% of other cities and towns in South Australia, leading to high public safety scores.
As a resident of Mount Barker (SA), the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime is 1 in 35 based on the combined crime rate of offences against the person and property. This is in contrast to the South Australian average, where the chance of becoming a victim of crime is 1 in 16.
To get a more comprehensive understanding of Mount Barker (SA)’s crime statistics, it is essential to take a closer look at its against the person and property crime data. This examination is particularly critical because it enables us to determine whether violent crime, property crime, or both are the primary contributors to the total crime rate in Mount Barker (SA). By doing so, we can gain a more in-depth insight into the nature and extent of crime in Mount Barker (SA).
AU Crime Rate’s analysis has uncovered that the rate of crimes against the person in Mount Barker (SA) is 557 per one hundred thousand inhabitants. By contrast, the statewide average for such crimes stands at 1218. This suggests that experiencing serious offences like homicide, acts intended to cause injury, robbery, and other offences against the person is [odds of crimes against the person] if you reside in Mount Barker (SA).
Our data reveal that the odds of becoming a victim of property crime in Mount Barker (SA) city are 1 in 44, with a rate of 2202 incidents per 100,000 residents. Keep in mind that the South Australia average is 4816 incidents per 100,000 residents. The types of property crimes tracked in this analysis include theft, fraud, property damage, and serious criminal trespass.
Mount Barker (SA) Crime Rates by Offences Division
|Division||Number of Crimes||Crime Rate (Per 100,000 Residents)|
|Offences against the person||120||557|
|Property and deception offences||474||2202|
Note: The only crime data that SAPOL presents is Property and person crimes. So you shouldn’t compare the crime rates of suburbs or urban areas with any other areas in another state in Australia.
Mount Barker (SA) Crimes Against the Person (Violent crimes)
These are violent crimes against people whether these are family violence or non-family violence. Basically, if someone does something to hurt or scare another person, it’s considered a crime against the person. This includes:
- “Acts Intended to Cause Injury” is a legal category that includes different types of crimes where someone intentionally tries to harm another person. There are subcategories within this, including:
- Assault Police: When someone intentionally attacks a police officer while they’re doing their job.
- Common Assault: This involves deliberately using force or threats to make someone fear they’ll be hurt. It doesn’t necessarily result in serious injuries.
- Serious Assault Resulting in Injury: This is when someone intentionally harms another person, causing them significant injuries.
- Serious Assault Not Resulting in Injury: Even if serious harm doesn’t happen, if someone tries to cause it intentionally, it can still be a crime.
- Homicide and Related offences: These are categories of crimes related to taking someone’s life:
- Murder: This is the most serious type of crime where someone intentionally kills another person.
- Other Homicide and Related offences: This category includes various other crimes connected to causing death. These might involve different levels of intent or circumstances, like manslaughter or offences related to causing death through negligence or recklessness.
- Robbery and related offences: These are the categories of crimes related to robbery:
- Non-Aggravated Robbery: This is a type of theft where someone takes property from another person using force or threats, but it doesn’t involve additional serious factors.
- Blackmail and Extortion: These offences involve forcing someone to give you money or property by using threats or information against them. Blackmail is when you threaten to reveal embarrassing or damaging information, while extortion includes broader threats of harm or force.
- Aggravated Robbery: This is a more severe form of robbery. It happens when someone uses weapons or inflicts serious harm or injury during the robbery. These factors make the crime even more serious and result in harsher penalties.
My Chances of Becoming a Victim of a Crime Against the Person
1 in 178
In Mount Barker (SA)
1 in 81
In South Australia
Crimes Against the Person Comparison (Per 100,000 Residents)
Crimes Against the Person: Mount Barker (SA) vs South Australia
Mount Barker (SA) population: 21526
South Australia population: 1777698
|Crimes||Total Criminal Incidents||SA Total Criminal Incidents||Crime Rate (Per 100,000 Residents)||SA Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Acts intended to cause injury (Assault)||106||19651||492||1105|
|Abduction, harassment and other offences||5||419||23||24|
|Blackmail and extortion||2||93||9||5|
|Other offences against the person||12||1334||56||75|
Here is a breakdown of the major Crimes against the person
|Crimes||No, of offences||Rate|
|Serious Assault resulting in injury||12||56|
|Serious Assault not resulting in injury||53||246|
Note: The data on sexual assault and related crimes is only available for the entire state of South Australia and not broken down by specific suburbs or urban areas. We have provided state-level statistics for your reference.
|Crimes||SA offences count||SA rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Aggravated sexual assault||1294||73|
|Non-aggravated sexual assault||435||24|
|Non-assaultive sexual offences||394||22|
|Total Sexual assault and related offences||2123||119|
Mount Barker (SA) Offences Against Property
These are crimes related to stealing or damaging property or deceiving someone for personal gain. Property crimes include:
- Property damage and environmental offences: These are categories of crimes related to damaging property and environmental violations:
- Other Property Damage and Environmental: This is a broad category covering various offences related to damaging property or breaking environmental rules. It includes different types of related crimes not mentioned elsewhere.
- Graffiti: Graffiti involves illegally drawing or writing on buildings or walls without permission, which damages property and is against the law.
- Property Damage by Fire or Explosion (Arson): Arson is when someone intentionally sets fire to property, causing damage or destruction. This category focuses on property damage caused specifically by fire or explosions, often with criminal intent.
- Serious criminal trespass: These categories are related to serious criminal trespass, commonly referred to as burglary, and other unlawful entries with different intents:
- Other Unlawful Entry with Intent: This covers various unauthorized entries into different places where the purpose may not fit into the categories below.
- Unlawful Entry – Non-Residence: This is when someone breaks into a non-residential place, like a store or office, with the intention to commit a crime, like theft or vandalism. It’s not about homes.
- Unlawful Entry – Residence: This is about unlawfully entering someone’s home with criminal intent, like to steal or harm. It’s specifically about intrusions into houses.
- Theft: It can be committed in various forms such as shoplifting, stealing from a person’s home, or taking a vehicle without permission. Other examples include stealing a bicycle, snatching a purse, or taking items from an unattended bag.
- Fraud, Deception, and Related offences: These are categories of crimes related to fraud and deception in South Australia:
- Other Fraud, Deception, and Related offences: This covers various types of fraudulent and deceptive activities that don’t fit into specific subcategories. It’s a broad category.
- Obtain Benefit by Deception: This offence involves deceiving someone to gain an advantage or benefit that you aren’t entitled to. It means obtaining something unfairly through trickery or dishonesty.
My Chances of Becoming a Victim of Offences Against Property
1 in 44
In Mount Barker (SA)
1 in 20
In South Australia
Offences Against Property Comparison (Per 100,000 Residents)
Against Property offences: Mount Barker (SA) vs South Australia
Mount Barker (SA) population: 21526
South Australia population: 1777698
|Crimes||Total Criminal Incidents||SA Total Criminal Incidents||Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)||SA Crime Rate (per 100,000 residents)|
|Theft and related offences||262||85784||1217||1640|
|Serious criminal trespass (burglary)||48||12477||223||702|
|Fraud, deception and related offences||52||4391||242||247|
|Property damage and environmental||112||20997||520||1181|
Here is a breakdown of Mount Barker (SA) crime rate and offences count for the major property and deception offences.
|Crimes||No, of offences||Rate|
|Theft/Illegal use of motor vehicle||10||46|
|Theft from motor vehicle||40||186|
|Theft from shop||74||344|
|Property damage by fire or explosion (Arson)||5||23|
|Unlawful entry - Residence||13||60|
|Unlawful entry - Non Residence||15||70|
Mount Barker (SA) Crimes per Square KM
How many murders in Mount Barker (SA) city in 2022?
According to South Australia Police (SAPOL), there were 0 murders in Mount Barker (SA) in 2022. The number of homicides (which includes murders and other related offences) was 0.
What’s the most common crime in Mount Barker (SA) city?
According to the latest available data from South Australia Police (SAPOL), the most common type of crime in Mount Barker (SA) is Theft from shop.
What is the crime rate in Mount Barker (SA) city?
The overall crime rate in Mount Barker (SA) city, as measured by the number of reported offences per 100,000 population was 2759 in the year ending December 2022.
However, it’s important to note that this is an aggregate figure that includes all types of crime, and some types of offences are more prevalent than others. Additionally, crime rates can vary by location, with some areas experiencing higher rates of certain types of crime than others.
Is Mount Barker (SA) city a safe place to live in?
Mount Barker (SA) city is safer than 84% of cities and towns across Australia and the crime rates are noticeably lower than the average of Australian urban centers and localities. Compared to South Australia cities and towns, Mount Barker (SA) city is safer than 57% of other communities in the state which are considered high safety scores in South Australia.
What suburb has the highest crime rate in Mount Barker (SA) city?
Mount Barker (SA) is the suburb with the highest rate of reported criminal incidents in Mount Barker (SA) city with a rate of 2866 incidents per 100,000 population, according to BOCSAR 2022 data. Mount Barker (SA) is safer than only 48% of Mount Barker (SA) city suburbs.
What is the safest suburb in Mount Barker (SA) city?
Blakiston is the safest suburb in Mount Barker (SA) city with a rate of 525 incidents per 100,000 population as per the BOCSAR report. Blakiston is safer than 85% of Mount Barker (SA) city suburbs.
However, it’s important to note that low crime rates do not necessarily guarantee safety, and that crime can occur anywhere. Hence, it’s essential always to stay vigilant and take appropriate safety measures.
Mount Barker (SA) Crime Rate by Suburb
|Mount Barker (SA) suburbs||Total crimes in 2021||Total crime rate in 2021||Total crimes in 2022||Total crime rate in 2022|
|Angle Vale||310||7662||292||7217||Angle Vale|
|Gawler East||122||2141||144||2528||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston Park||142||3348||123||2900||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler South||190||7252||139||5305||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston Gardens||87||3691||114||4837||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler Belt||12||1210||22||2218||Gawler (SA)|
|Gawler West||61||6199||74||7520||Gawler (SA)|
|Evanston South||35||4575||32||4183||Gawler (SA)|
|Kingston Se||19||1404||17||1256||Kingston SE|
|Pinks Beach||1||1205||0||0||Kingston SE|
|Mount Barker||557||3046||524||2866||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Littlehampton||54||1630||42||1268||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Blakiston||4||1050||2||525||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Totness||23||24468||26||27660||Mount Barker (SA)|
|Mount Gambier||1494||5828||1515||5910||Mount Gambier|
|Murray Bridge||1322||8797||1291||8591||Murray Bridge|
|Murray Bridge East||39||3239||36||2990||Murray Bridge|
|Northern Heights||7||2303||16||5263||Murray Bridge|
|Port Augusta||1447||22518||1867||29054||Port Augusta|
|Port Augusta West||566||13907||843||20713||Port Augusta|
|Stirling North||67||2405||98||3518||Port Augusta|
|Port Lincoln||1225||8472||1266||8755||Port Lincoln|
|Port Pirie South||213||5507||186||4809||Port Pirie|
|Risdon Park||194||5021||249||6444||Port Pirie|
|Port Pirie West||172||6680||182||7068||Port Pirie|
|Risdon Park South||69||3083||70||3128||Port Pirie|
|Port Pirie||151||89881||164||97619||Port Pirie|
|Encounter Bay||50||943||47||886||Victor Harbor|
|Victor Harbor||198||4404||215||4782||Victor Harbor|
|Port Elliot||40||1789||52||2326||Victor Harbor|
Note: This article doesn’t have detailed data for family violence, victims, female offenders, reoffending, sexual offences, stalking, and youth crime. For more information about these topics, check our resources page.
- South Australia Police (SAPOL)
- South Australia Government Data Directory
Popular Suburbs in Mount Barker (SA)
Popular Urban Areas Near Mount Barker (SA)